A Christmas Stocking for Loki πŸΎπŸΎπŸŽ…πŸ»

A new member of the family means another stocking on the mantel come Christmas Eve!

My inspiration came from my Aurifil thread stash…

Oooh. Ok, now to the fabrics…

Mmmm. A little Modern Quilt Studio, a little Carol Eaton, and a batik I’ve had for years. I opted for the gold and green as the main fabrics…so, fused each to a piece of batting with MistyFuse and (after a very brief thought about hand-quilting), headed to my Bernina:

This kind of project is just pure fun and a terrific way to get some practice in with your BSR. I just zoomed around and stitched stems in green and the outline of poinsettia petals in red.

Next…trace the outline of a stocking, front and back. I remembered a great piece by Jane Davila in a previous issue of Quilting Arts Holiday and, amazingly, found it! (Who else misses that special edition magazine?)

I stitched around the outlines to lock in the quilting stitches and cut out…

Then thought about how I wanted to do a top cuff. Opted for a cream colored Grunge…MistyFused some batting to give it heft, folded over and them got to work on adding Loki’s name.

One of my favorite discoveries at Festival was Cheryl Sleboda’s Power Shine and Power Shine glitter πŸ’œ. I ordered some in gold and silver for holiday stitching (and of course black glitter for Jackson portraits), and thought this would be perfect for lettering on the stocking. The product has fusible on the back and a protective pressing layer on top, so you can simply trace or write and cut…

There you see the protective pressing layer…here is what it looked like after fusing and peeling:

So fun! Time to stitch around the letters in red, then stitch the stocking together:

And don’t forget the leftover quilted fabric! I was able to cut two 4″ x 6″ pieces to make gift-card holders…

Here is the finished stocking. I decided the red fabric was a little strong for the piece and substituted a piece of red silk ribbon.

On to the next holiday project on the list 😁!