Does your Valentine have a beloved pet? If so, this is a fun technique to try :). The supplies are simple: white batik (higher thread count = sharper image), a fabric pen (I love Tsukineko’s ‘Fabrico’ pens), and 2 spools 🧵 of thread: white and the ink color.
- Choose a strong-contrast photo and play with it in Popsicolor
- Print it
- Lay the white batik on top of the image and (using a light box) ink in any area that appears dark
- Layer with batting and backing
- Stitch the image, adding color thread wherever you’ve added ink
- Stitch radiating lines, with white thread, in the background (not necessary if you are creating a postcard).
As this series of photos shows, a pale subject can also be the star…simply color in the background around the pet!
For more info, read Quilting Arts magazine (Feb/Mar 2017 issue) or watch my episode on Quilting Arts TV 😁!