I am slightly horrified to see how long it’s been since I posted here! Life has been insanely busy in all kinds of good ways and has conspired to keep me away from my Bernina more than I would like. But…as a new Bernina entered my life (fond farewell to my longarm, hello gorgeous 770QE), I have managed to create a few things and plot many more for this year.
December ushered in a white dog theme as I created two pieces for a dear new friend’s kids. I have written before about monotonal pups and kitties but the first was a challenge – a sweet smooth-coated white Chihuahua. No cheating with lots of fur tufts here! I leaned on the background fabrics to add pattern and surface internet here…Grant Haffner’s fabulous collection for Windham was a lifesaver here, as was a piece of hand-dyed velvet by the insanely talented Elaine Quehl ❤️:
Oh so much stitching later…in addition to fabric ink, I rediscovered just how useful those old powder eyeshadows and makeup brushes can be (incredibly helpful for shading ears and muzzles ;)!).
Next adorable subject was a little easier (fluffy) but wow I certainly used my entire weight range of Aurifil threads in almost-white…if you wonder if you would ever use those other heavier-weight threads, the answer is a resounding yes if you do pet portraits ￼!
Posca paint markers were a big help here, to highlight the bits of fabric in between lines of Aurifil ‘fur’…again, strong background fabric help from Windham’s Dewdrop collection on top and silk dupioni below. Of course, I could do none of this without Mistyfuse…crinkling fabric to create the illusion of rumpled blankets is so much fun!
Of course, I couldn’t go this long without a kitty or two! Enter two sisters…tortie or calico, I’m never quite sure (given the white patches) but completely adorable and a very special Valentine’s Day gift 💞😉. Once again, Windham/Anthology batiks and Elaine Quehl’s hand-dyed velvets to the rescue…and, for this one, both Aurifil and Superior Threads…
Meanwhile, the Joy Quilt Project seems to be taking a wholecloth, v v heavily thread-painted turn…
This square began with a few randomly-stitched yellow centers in 40wt, then petals stitched with 2 shades of purple through the needle…well, you can see why I put more than a million stitches on my machine each year 😉. I am now obsessed with thread as the star, and next up is a thread painting of an urban garden. Then maybe the next large piece…though I am now convinced that my pandemic project has become an ongoing irresistible way to play! 🪡
You must be logged in to post a comment.